Saturday, 27 November 2010

Rating my wellness

Hello fellow bloggers,

I enjoyed this exercise because it gave me a chance to review each aspect of my life.  Starting with my physical well being.  I rate my physical well being a 9.  I have always been athletic and strive to keep that going.   I currently walk 3 to 5 miles a day and perform strength traing 3 times a week.  I am under my BMI and my waist measurement is well below 35 inches.  My blood pressure and cholesterol is normal and I not currently taking any medications.  I am a non-tobacco user and rarely drink alcohol.

My Spritual Well Being I rate as 6 right now.  I use meditation as a way to try and connect more to my spiritual side.  I have not being able to take the time to use all the resources to help increase this aspect of my wellness but I am hoping to start to improve this.

My Psychological well being I rate as a 8.  I feel I am able to handle my stress level really well for the most part.  I take time out to enjoy reading, listening to music and time for recreation as well as personal time which I call "me time" I use this to unwind and replenish my mind. 

Three goals one for each area.

Physical Well being:  Add flexibility training into my exercise schedule 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Spiritual Well being:  Incoporate time for mental reflection of my inner core through relaxation techniques such as meditation and yoga.

Psychological:  Improve my memory by increasing my time for reading for enjoyment to 45 minutes a day.

The Crime of the Century exercise was frustrating for me because I would much prefer just reflective time of quiet.  I had to do the exercise a couple of times to get to the point where I could relax my mind enough to get into the exercise.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, Great job! Good for you being physically active most of your life; awesome - You go Girl. I wish I would have stayed with it after finishing high school; would have made my emotional and physical well being easier though my 30s, 40s and soon 50s.

    I feel what you are doing regarding your physical well-being is great and the younger generation should consider staying physically active throughout their entire life. Incorporating meditation and yoga are a great way to spiritually connect to yourself. I enjoy meditation. Did not care for yoga when a tried it a few years ago but need to try it again now that I'm in a better state of mind.

    Sorry to read that you found the exercise frustrating but the more you practice meditation the easier it will get.

    Keep up the great work! -- Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I am glad that you have done well for yourself physically. I also find it interesting that you mentioned that you read to improve memory. I love reading as well. Though I never thought that reading helps with memory, but new knowledge for me always helps. I wish you well with all your goals. - Subrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post Deb, I also enjoyed this assignment because it forced me to reflect on myself. Something I'm sure we do not do enough! I also found Crime of the Century frustrating. I am not oppose to guided imagery but did not find this useful. Thinking of myself full of windows and shoting out colors was a little disturbing. I love your goals. I can relate to wanting to improve your memory. However, I don't think I could do that by more "fun" reading. Unfortunatly, I can not do much "fun" reading anymore, too much school reading. I have switched to audio books since school. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get back into exercising. I lost 50lbs in one year and I have kinda gotten out of it. It made me feel so much better and my stress was not as bad either. I always do my spiritual devotion everyday ... it is like my daily medicine to dealing with trials in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deborah,

    You sound like you are well on your way of reaching those golden years of a healthy life. I wish I were as active as you are. I use to be before I returned to college. My plate is so full right now, unforcanitly I cannot change any of the elements in my life until I finish school, which is around June 2010, very close. This course is the only thing forcing me to participate in any mentally, physically, and spiritual exercises. I thank God for it or I would not be doing it as much as I would like too. I do have plans to improve in these areas of my life in the future, but for now I will take what I can get. Thanks for the motivations. Keep it up Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Deborah, I meant to say, graduating in June 2011...yep pee!

    ReplyDelete